Friday, November 14, 2014

Mediterranean 2014 - part five



After a week crossing the Atlantic, the Spanish island of Tenerife, first of three Canary islands we'll visit.

First stop, a cannon similar to one that supposedly took away Nelson's arm during the 1797 Battle of Santa Cruz de Tenerife. Another report suggests the wound was caused by a musket ball, so I have my doubts.


The cannon's at a military museum. Of more interest than Nelson’s arm (to me anyway), one painting reminds that, under the dictator Franco, Spanish troops - the Azul (Blue) Division - joined the Germans on the Russian front.



I was privileged to know Canadians, now long dead, who, in the 1930s, served in the International Brigades against Franco's Fascists. Outside Spain, the lost cause of the Republic, for which they and others selflessly fought, is largely unknown. But Spain is now a democracy and, as in Germany, the past is (mostly) not forgotten. ¡Hurra por las Brigadas Internacionales!

Escaping dark thoughts in the museum, the rest of my day is spent idly strolling. 

European advertising so often displays flair lacking in North America's prudish billboards. 


Santa Cruz's streets offer wonderful colours.



A cacophony attracts me to a demonstration in front of a well known Spanish chain. Workers (can't make out if they're on strike or just upset about conditions) make as much noise as possible in hopes of disrupting business. 


I like the proximity of the advertising shot and protestor with whistle and rattling pop cans.

_________________________

Arriving at Las Palmas on Grand Canary, oil or gas rigs, not sure which.


I quickly disembark to take advantage of early light.




When did you last see (much less frequent) a disco?


Probably around the time you were driving one of these. 


Playa de las Canteras is a popular Las Palmas beach.



I stop at a neighbourhood bar for mid-morning coffee. This old boy is not imbibing grape juice. Europe, where people, other than censorious Canadians, don’t look at you oddly when you’re having a drink before noon.

_________________________

The following day - Lanzarote.

Bit low in the gunnels, but doubtless he knows more about the sea than I do.


Castillo San Gabriel, a Spanish fort.


Not only Scotland and Quebec, but the Canaries and Western Sahara also have their own independence movements.


Coincidentally, we'll arrive in Barcelona shortly after the straw poll in favour of Catalonia's independence.

Dominos.


Another of my mid-morning drinkers.


Hey! Tourists getting in the way of my shot ... now that I think of it, tourists like me.