Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Winter in Texas - part three



Religion is almost as important here as high school football. Which reminds me, this a local high school football stadium. It seats 13,500.


The Valley is heavily Catholic and, if not Catholic, evangelical Protestant. When light’s good, Sunday’s best for photography because everyone’s in church and I have the streets to myself.

Well, not everyone. This nun is making rosaries in McAllen. She’s delightful, but like the guy campaigning with a shopping cart, only speaks Spanish.



Competing signs - the picture's best clicked on - outside a McAllen Episcopal (Anglican) church. Armory Guns vies with ‘Sanctuary for Life’ for passing motorists’ eyes. Not to mention Fiesta Cleaners, McDonald’s and Viva Life Christian Book Shop.


The shrine with broken cross and fake flowers is in Havana. It’s a village with lots of goats, not far from my place, on the Rio Grande and so only a stone’s throw from Mexico.



Church and state in a backstreet of La Joya. Pity the light isn’t better, but I hope you get the idea.




A BBQ place I enjoy (excellent beef brisket) doesn’t shy from mixing religion and business.